Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Facebook vs Flirting

I have a teenage son and I'm absolutely dumbstruck by how social interactions have changed since I was his age.  Gone are the days of plotting and scheming to get to see the object of your desire, gone are hushed phone calls behind bedroom doors, gone are the tongue-tied conversations between two young people.  


You see, modern technology has robbed our teenagers of all of that. Today, young people have unlimited access to each other by electronic means - social networking, texting and email.  They don't get to long for each other or miss each other's company because the other one is only ever a few keystrokes away.


I think they've been robbed.  I remember the excitement of waiting for the phone to ring each day when my boyfriend would call, being yelled at by my parents for the excessive phone bill and the hushed giggling while he hid from his parents' ears too.  My children will never know how that feels.  They will never know the sheer skin-tingling delight of flirting and longing.  


Electronic communication has a sense of safety to it because it's much easier to write something in a text message or email than to say those words aloud when you're an unsure teenager.  The flip side of this is that cyber-bullying and intimidation is rife.  Hurting each other's feelings is that much easier to do because you don't have to be brave and say the words to a human face.  An electronic screen doesn't cry or crumble when a heart is slowly breaking.  It feels no pain at confidence shattered.


How very sad.  

4 comments:

  1. I don't think we've been robbed. To the contrary. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I see a gorgeous woman that I want to talk to, regardless of whether she's a facebook friend. I feel thankful for the service when I meet with a friend solely due to their accessibility through facebook.

    I think some people abuse the technology by closing up into the digital world, but that's a user error. The potential for abuse doesn't justify admonishment.

    Our pace is faster now. Good fortune happens faster, as does bad fortune. I've gotten in touch with people I would NEVER be talking to if it wasn't for social networking. The advantages far outweigh the negative aspects for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that there are definite advantages, I just wonder if my teenagers will be socially adept or will they rely on a screen when it comes to personal relationships? I think balance is important and if we can achieve a good mix of "actual" and "virtual" interaction then it will be fine, the problem comes in when it's easier to be an "online" personality instead of the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids no longer have to get the courage to approach someone they like. They don't have to brave the group to speak to the one. Rather than speaking to them to find out where they live, who their friends are and if they are single, they click, click, click, and its done. It is such a shame because that is part of the fun. It is almost like foreplay (I have been told about this 'foreplay') and what is more exhilarating than chatting someone up and getting their telephone number? Damn I miss that emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! The thrill of the chase has been lost.

    ReplyDelete