Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fit, healthy and well-loved

Why is it that we obsess about our body shapes to the extent that we do?  I can't think of a single day in my adult life that I have not looked at myself critically and thought "ooh, these bits need attention" or "man, these arms are flabby", never mind "is my backside really that big?"  


Now, to put it into perspective for those of you who are never likely to see me in the flesh (fully-clothed, I promise) - I am a tall woman by any country's standards, I wear a British size 14 (have no idea what that means to the Americans or Canadians reading) and am certainly not fat.  My BMI has me in the healthy range and I am fit.  By fit I mean that I am able to do (and do, 4 times a week) a full hour's weight and cardio workout, a full hour of high impact aerobics and can mountain bike 25km or walk 30km.  I am also the mother of 2 children and am, unfortunately, nearly middle-aged.


Last night I was at bookclub.  Our members are generally 40+ years old and come from varied backgrounds.  All very intelligent and go-getter kind of women that I am proud to know.  Except for one.  There we are, eating a very healthy and balanced meal, all in very reasonable proportions, a few glasses of wine, when one bright spark refers to myself and the friend seated to my right as "fat people".  Well, I nearly fainted.  Once I had managed to lift my jaw back to it's rightful place and pull my arm down from slapping her and restraining my neighbor, I just stared in shock.  Here is someone who knows me, knows how all the women seated around the table juggle parenting, careers, work travel and relationships, yet she still judges us on the basis of how we look!? 


Is it any wonder then that we girls are so critical of our own bodies?  If people who know how difficult it is to fit good nutrition (as it's more time-consuming that take-out), enough exercise and grooming (who the hell has the time left for regular facials, manicures and hair removal?) into our hectic lives can judge us, what hope is there? If we can't cut each other some slack and be more realistic about women's bodies, how can we expect others to do so?  The world really does seem to only want perfection.  Little wonder that I'm a bit of a rebel....

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I love that you are a bit of a rebel! Props for not smacking that woman!
    Ps. Why can't I sign up to receive your posts via email, hun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably because I'm technically challenged but I'll get my mad scientist to sort it out...

    ReplyDelete